httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: aplog_module_index and C++
Date Sat, 26 Mar 2011 00:13:20 GMT
On Friday 25 March 2011, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> This is a constant pointer which is declared without initialization
> like this in http_log.h:
>
> static int * const aplog_module_index;

This is a so called tentative definition in C. If there is a
definition later on, this one is treated as a declaration. If not,
it's treated as a definition (initializing to the default NULL).
Unfortunately, C++ doesn't have a similar concept.

> Unfortunately that's not valid C++ since there is no initializer.
> Three of the four C++ compilers I tried consider that a fatal
> error. Unfortunately, as I guess Stefan knows, it is tricky to
> make this work in C too, and there does't seem to be much leeway.
>
> Meanwhile, after removing "const" at least one of the C++ compilers
> I'm trying generates a fatal error at the duplicate places
> aplog_module_index is declared (when you use APLOG_USE_MODULE and
> also include http_log.h).
>
> My gut feel is that to get along with the wide array of C and C++
> compilers out there we'll have to get less tricky, even if it means
> a hard requirement to declare APLOG_USE_MODULE everywhere.

There doesn't seem to be a way in C++ to declare a static variable
without defining it. So my gut feeling is that your gut feeling is
correct for C++.

A possibility would be to put the tentative definition in http_log.h
inside a #ifndef __cplusplus. In C, nothing would change. And in C++,
one would have to set APLOG_USE_MODULE() before using any logging
function. What do you think of that? Would that be too confusing?