httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Prior to apr 2.0 / httpd 2.4...
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:20:59 GMT
On 21 Mar 2011, at 01:13, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> I wish we had a better understanding of where expat is headed, or if it
> is truly abandoned.  It seems strange to rely on an orphaned dependency.

I think we can be relaxed about it.  We're one of many users, and our usage
is hardly pushing the boundary.

On the other hand, the reason we're not pushing the boundary is that
to do so would be to re-invent the wheel.  That is to say, applications
interested in markup are introducing other libraries with more capabilities.
Expat has proved too limiting.

That raises the question: is there mileage in dropping expat and
substituting libxml2?  For our core usage, it's pretty-much a drop-in
replacement, and it's the basis for a whole bunch of hitherto-separate
applications like mod_proxy_html, mod_transform, mod_xml2 or
mod_security.

If I were to substitute libxml2 and demonstrate an expat-free version
of APR and HTTPD, would there be support for that?  I'm thinking
the choice of native XML parser could become a compile-time or
even a run-time choice.  I'd expect a quick&dirty prototype demo
to be just a couple of hours work.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html