httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject ap_read_config() from remote resource
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:32:51 GMT
Hey folks,

I think we discussed such possibilities last year at the retreat
but didn't really follow up on it, so lets assume it's a fresh new
idea which I just thought of :)

ap_read_config() passes the config file it gets more or less
directly to ap_pcfg_openfile() which again pass it more or less
directly to apr_file_open() -- now what if we wanted to place
our configuration files on a remote (HTTP ;) resource. Of course
it sounds silly to boot-strap an HTTP server from an HTTP server
but JBoss for instance supports that -- in part at least: For the
application's properties files.

I think it's worth the effort, even if it leaves a number of
questions unanswerd..

* Where to hook such functionality? in ap_read_config()?
ap_pcfg_openfile() or in apr_file_open()?

* How do we handle Include? I imagine something like:

IncludeAllowCrossDomain Off

* How do we handle relative Includes?
We could either use Define:

Define BaseURI http://conf.example.org/prod/

Or define such a directive within core.

That's the list of key issues I can think of right now.

Maybe the (release) scope might be of importance too: Does it make
sense to push this into 2.4, or should we stuff it into the next
release?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org