httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Zeno Davatz <zdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MinGW, Apache, APR and MSYS
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:53:51 GMT
Dear G√ľnter

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Guenter Knauf <fuankg@apache.org> wrote:

> Am 09.02.2011 10:08, schrieb Zeno Davatz:
>>
>> How about switching the order? The reason why I done this is because I
>> want to be able to use git directly from my commandline window
>> _without_ having to open a separate window, just to be capable to use
>> GIT. I want one command windows for everything, same like on Linux.
>> Anything else does not seem efficient to me.
>
> ok, but the Q is here what do you all want to use? Look, the Windows Git
> package as well as the MinGW package come both with its own MSYS which has a
> bunch of same tools and Perl but at different versions, so clashes are
> foreseeable; also both prefer usage from bash rather than cmd.exe where Git
> seems to offer both. So depending on what you just intend to do you should
> consider to create a batch file which calls cmd.exe and sets paths
> accordingly to your needs rather than adding global search paths.

Ok, I will consider this.

>>> Oh, and AFAICT adding a seach path to C:\Apache2.2\bin is also not really
>>> needed since httpd.exe looks anyway into this folder 1st for its
>>> dependent
>>> DLLs.
>>
>> But can I then still start Apache from the command line?
>
> no, not then via search - only via full path; but here's the Q if you really
> need that? usually calling httpd.exe from commandline is anyway only for
> debugging purpose, else you run the service; and the service you can
> start/stop from comamndline with:
> net [start|stop] apache2.2
>
> BTW. there are also other nice addons for Windows, f.e. CmdHere which opens
> a cmd box with a rightclick on a folder:
> this can save you a lot of commandline 'cd folder' and also then reduces
> need for many search paths ...

You see, as I come from Linux, using Gentoo every day, I am used to
the command prompt. I never head into windows using Windwos-Explorer.
That confuses me ;) - [ But the more our software runs on Windows, I
may need exactly what you say ;) ] - So what I am trying to do is the
same as on Linux: One command prompt for everything. This way, I have
less of a hassle to figure it all out. Of course I will bump into some
issues now and then but my testing becomes more streamlined. Or that
is what I think at the moment.

Generally speaking I still need to understand the Windows-Path-World
better. So comes time, I will try to understand better.

Best
Zeno