httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Zeno Davatz <zdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MinGW and Apache
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 22:58:32 GMT
Dear William

Thank you for the reply.

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:46 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

>> I got two fundamental questions nobody over at users@apache could answer:
>>
>> 1. Will a module that I compiled using MinGW on Windows load in Apache
>> 2.2.17 that was compiled with nmake?
>
> It aught to, against a 2.2.17 that uses msvcrt.dll - if it is built for
> msvcr### where ### is another MS fad, then all bets are off, but you should
> give it a try.  If you use only apr functions in that module to alloc/free
> memory, set envvars, or perform file io (no FILE/fd magic) then it should,
> irrespective of which compilers/linkers were used.

I gave it a try (it took some time ;): These are the steps I took to
compile mod_ruby.so with MinGW-gcc.3.4.5 against Apache 2.2.17 on
Windows.

http://dev.ywesee.com/wiki.php/Apache/Libapr-1

The module finally compiles fine _but_ Apache does not start. Apaches
tells me that the Module can not be found. But the module is there and
it compiled fine. So something seems strange.

I am grateful for any hints.

Both Ruby and mod_ruby where compiled with MinGW-gcc-3.4.5.

mod_ruby.so compiled with nmake together with Ruby compiled with nmake
loads just fine in Apache 2.2.17 for Windows.

>> 2. Is there any chance of getting Apache to compile against MinGW on
>> Windows? Will this be an official goal of the Apache foundation in the
>> near future?
>
> We don't have Foundation/project goals in the way you are thinking... but
> there are a few committers who are interested in the subject, none of whom
> have found the time to invest in closing the circle.

If you point me towards the people I will try to get in touch to push
this a bit forward. I am also willing to back it up financially to a
certain extent.

Best
Zeno