httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1066944 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/main.c
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 21:29:36 GMT
On 2/4/2011 3:26 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Would you prefer os/unix or APR? I am also happy to simply revert if
>>> that is the majority opinion.
>> I suspect that a generic apr '_refresh' function would be most useful
>> across the board, others might disagree.
> Isn't APR for "portability"? All I see is a single function
> call...
> If we have to pollute something with this res_init(), then httpd
> is likely the better place than expanding APR even more beyond
> being a "simple" portable runtime ;)
> But I'm fine either way... as long as it builds and links ;)

My thought is that this might not be the only thing to 'refresh' when
you have an app which needs current state.  It would be a chance to
flush out all caches and set the state basically to apr_initialize(),
modulo any open resources or currently allocated pools.  It could even
go so far as to free() all the unused pool memory, giving us a really
fresh start on heap pages that have been fragmented to heck.

View raw message