httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1066944 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES configure.in server/main.c
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:54:59 GMT
On Friday 04 February 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 2/4/2011 7:18 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> >> Why is it necessary to push out management of the libc resolver
> >> to the daemon?  This looks like creeping featurism.  You can
> >> and should use nscd if you need running daemons to be able to
> >> cope with resolver config changes on the fly.

I thought to follow the principle of least surprise and reload
resolv.conf during restart. And when the need to change the
nameservers arises, it is usually too late to switch to nscd. Besides,
nscd it a PITA and I wouldn't use it if there was no compelling reason
(like LDAP).

> > ++1.
>
> +1 here as well, if this is to be addressed at all, the portability
> layer seems like the correct place to do it, if desired by the
> app.

Would you prefer os/unix or APR? I am also happy to simply revert if
that is the majority opinion.

Cheers,
Stefan