httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <...@gknw.net>
Subject mod_authn_socache was Re: Time to start planning for ...
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:03:38 GMT
Hi Nick, Bill,

I am in the position to give some detail, I think this module has flushed
out a bug in apr. It crashes at startup, seems to be windows specific AFAIK.
socache/nocache makes no difference, it causes a crash in libapr.
Unhandled exception in httpd.exe (LIBAPR-1.DLL):
0xC0000005: Access Denied, (DEP) specifically;

apr/locks/win32/proc_main.c line 189
APR_DECLARE(const char *)
apr_proc_mutex_lockfile(apr_proc_mutex_t *mutex)
{
-->    return mutex->fname;
}

Context: apr_proc_mutex_lockfile(apr_proc_mutex_t *mutex)

mutex 0x00000000
|- pool CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated
|- handle CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated
|- fname  CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated

Poking around the other platforms I notice beos, netware & os2 simply
return NULL. Even in unix it will return NULL if it doesn't meet a
conditional test. Modifying line 189 to return NULL the server starts,
serves up my index page with includes to perl scripts, phpinfo() and
does what I generally expect it to do.

I'm not sure that's the right way to go about it but it seems there should be some kind of
test before blindly returning mutex->fname, so if
there needs to be a NULL returned as in this case, it can be. What test
exactly I don't know.

Is this happening because a mutex is being registered in the module but
never created since we are bailing out of post config before doing that?

Gregg