httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <>
Subject Re: Tuning recommendations for Apache HTTP Server w/ra_serf clients (MaxKeepAliveRequests)
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:57:27 GMT
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Stefan Sperling <> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 09:27:18AM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> If we also have a tuning section, we should remind folks to also
>> enable mod_deflate (SetOutputFilter DEFLATE in their Location block)
>> as that'll help a bit when transferring XML content back and forth.
>> mod_deflate will come at a slight latency penalty, but that'll be
>> offset for folks with slower connections taking less time to transfer
>> the responses overall.
> Has this problem been fixed, then?
> I don't think we should recommend mod_deflate if that problem still exists.

No, it doesn't look like it has been fixed yet.

However, how many real-world HTTP clients are out there that don't
speak zlib?  =)

> I don't think that thread came to a conclusion.
> Greg was implying the bug was in mod_deflate rather than svn:

Greg is correct in that the patch doesn't go far enough - mod_dav_svn
should change all uses of output to be a ** rather than *.

As far as mod_deflate being broken, yah, it probably shouldn't be
trying to do any memory usage until it knows it is
activated...but...that's a topic for another list (dev@httpd).
mod_deflate should probably memorize the fact that the checks have
already run and get out of the way...probably with setting no-gzip in
subprocess_env?  -- justin

View raw message