httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: test framework and latest Fedora
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2011 18:46:59 GMT
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:29 AM, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> CC'ing test-dev@.
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:00:41PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> On the latest Fedora, -times=X no longer works:
>>
>> t/modules/rewrite.t .. ok
>> t/modules/rewrite.t .. ok
>> You already have a parser for (t/modules/rewrite.t). Perhaps you have run the same
test twice. at /usr/share/perl5/TAP/Harness.pm line 521

>> CPAN itself is up to date... or is that the problem?

That looks like the problem.  When TAP/Parser/Aggregator.pm was added
in March 2007, it croaked if you tried to reuse the test description.

As the primary Apache-Test maintainer right now, I am tempted to
deprecate this feature in favor of making the codebase simple and
easier to maintain in the long run.  Updating this feature to work
with TAP-Harness is an unknown amount of work.  And running tests
multiple times is more fitting of something like t/SMOKE
(Apache::TestSmoke) rather than t/TEST.  I can get in there and muck
with the internals of Apache::TestRun (and A-TR-PHP, Perl, etc) to
make it behave properly, but my tuits are better spent on insuring
quality in other parts of this module, and also releasing mod_perl
2.0.5.

I welcome feedback here on desired approaches.  What is 'times=' being
used for?  Can you tryout t/SMOKE instead?