httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@skife.org>
Subject Re: Inspiration for mod_lua
Date Sat, 08 Jan 2011 20:29:40 GMT
On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:48 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 8:09 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>>
>> I mean take the CMS I just wrote with mod_perl.  It's 2K LOC, uses a custom
>> map_to_storage handler, and defers a good chunk of its (sub)requests to httpd
>> for things like autoindex and negotiation and plain-old file serving, and
>> forwards
>> a user's basic auth creds to the subversion server.  That isn't remotely
>> feasible
>> with mod_fcgi, I'd have to reimplement all that functionality my app, which is
>> a waste.
>
> You are right, for content fcgid would be fine, but for the rest we'd hope that
> mod_lua is much less of a memory hog, and can accomplish those same things.

Honestly, I don't expect mod_lua to see heavy use for content
generation (will be happy for that to prove wrong), but python and
ruby rule that roost right now, and external process proxying (fcgi,
mod_proxy, mod_wsgi, whatever) all work great there. My personal
target is everything *else* that you can hook :-)