httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.4 and APR_HAS_THREADS, etc
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:43:16 GMT
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 1/10/2011 10:44 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> On 01/07/2011 08:27 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>>
>>> For right now, APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY and APR_HAS_THREADS
>>> should be dropped for 2.3/2.4. I'd be happy with that for
>>> now ;)
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I raised that question few years back and was told
>> that the reason for (at least APR_HAS_THREAD) was
>> not the lack of os support for threads but rather the
>> optimization for prefork. OK ;)
>
> We can agree that some optimizations are appropriate, but that was
> always the wrong test.  ap_mpm_query of AP_MPMQ_IS_THREADED is the
> correct test and always has been.

In the past it was helpful on some platforms to be able to disable
thread support in APR, which required prefork and didn't provide a
run-time capability of deciding whether to be thread-safe.

I guess anyone that wants to use or at least experiment with
--disable-threads builds can stick with a older release.