httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: Please vote - how to handle AllowEncodedSlashes
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:06:06 GMT
On 1/21/2011 12:20 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:
> How to handle?
> [ ] 1. change the 2.2 doc to reflect the actual 2.2 behavior
> [ ] 2. backport the trunk behavior as-is, so 2.0/2.2/trunk behave the same
> [ ] 3. backport the trunk behavior, but using a new option to avoid
>     breaking existing configurations that might depend on the current
>     behavior

You have me a little confused.  I actually believe we need to forward port
the 2.0 behavior, allowing people to retain the 'new' behavior in 2.2 if
they so wish (with the Decode option).

I believe more people than not are having problems with the new behavior,
and there are two POLA (pricipal of least astonishment) which are competing,
those not yet upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2, vs. those doing a minor upgrade in
the 2.2 line.  The 2.2 behavior is so radically different that it makes
more sense to clearly document the change in 2.2 CHANGES and ship the 2.0
behavior, since for most users the 2.2 behavior looks broken to them.

View raw message