httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Gearls <nickgea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Allow to set config variables in the config a.k.a. mod_define
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2011 11:44:07 GMT
Using extensively mod_define, mod_macro and rewrite maps in very big
environments, I personally chose for ~{...} to be safe.
But, as far as we can change it, everyone can choose what they want.

Regards,

Nick

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Allow to set config variables in the config a.k.a. mod_define
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:29:43 +0100
From: Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de>
To: dev@httpd.apache.org

On 20.01.2011 16:02, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Nick Gearls wrote:
>> Using the $ character can interact with core interpolation, but also
>> with, for instance, mod_macro.
>>
>> I strongly recommend to let mod_define's ability to replace the special
>> characters.
>>
>> Moreover, mod_define is very stable, so why to strip it instead of
>> just extending it?
>
> Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my original mail. It's very difficult
> for a module to hook into the config processing early enough to be able
> to override core's envvar interpolation. It's much easier to do that if
> the functionality is in the core.
>
> But conflicts with mod_macro and RewriteMaps are a valid concern. I will
> try to include the ability to replace the special characters.
>
> Do we want to change the default special chars? There are not many
> reasonable combinations left that would not produce other clashes. Maybe
> $( ) would be a possiblity.

If we stick strictly to ${XXX} then I don't see an immediate problem
with mod_macro, which should use plain $XXX. The syntax overlap with
rewrite maps should go away if variable names are not allowed to contain
a colon.

If this is correct, at least I would prefer sticking to ${XXX} and not
$(XXX).

Regards,

Rainer