httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Issues with <If >
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:37:15 GMT
On 1/10/2011 12:21 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> Thought experiment: supposing everything were merged into a single
> configuration walk.  What could that look like, and what breaks?

Essentially, each request and sub-request would have to redundantly
re-merge many prior merges as <If > and other conditions were reevaluated.
But it isn't quite as a bad as it sounds; for each If that breaks, you
end up with result caches of the two possible outcomes.

In fact, it would be possible to optimize the predicted paths at startup
by premerging, and we simply have to take both forks of <If > to do so
successfully.

What I find more interesting is dumping server config sections and
treating everything as per-dir sections, servers included.  Of course,
it isn't necessary for a module (think about core) to store everything
in a single layer, things that change together should be part of a
common config structure, less frequently changed things (zero copy)
would be per server, or even global config structs.  But the API itself
becomes half as complex.

That said, the later half of this thought is not a 2.4 feature, it would
require the 3.0 bump.