httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Gearls <>
Subject Re: Huge memory leak in mod_substitute
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2011 16:31:58 GMT
When setting the q flag, I have no more memory leaks.
And it substitutes all instances on the line; however, it seems we
cannot assume it will always do so :-(

Btw, I never understood when multiple subst will work with the q flag;
does somebody have an answer?
For instance,
   Substitute s/aa/b/q
works on "aaaaaaaaaaaaaa", even on a 10 KB long with "a".

On 7/1/2011 15:49, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:26:35 +0100
> Nick Gearls<>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I saw servers completely freezing (the whole system, not only httpd) due
>> to a memory leak problem in mod_substitute.
>> This is a major issue as it can completely block your systems, sometimes
>> even the fail-over as the server is blocked, but not completely down.
>> Even the management interfaces are blocked.
>> We reported the problem
>> (, with a
>> (scaled-down) reproducible process to trigger it.
>> Did somebody already begin to work on mod_substitute memory management?
> The obvious question would be whether the "q" flag affects your
> observations.  But the detailed bug report suggests that's unlikely.
> So the second obvious question: have you tried equivalent observations
> with mod_sed and/or mod_line_edit?

View raw message