httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <>
Subject Re: official httpd VC9 builds
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:17:57 GMT
> On 1/31/2011 9:55 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> There is a solution to use DDK7.1
>> It can create binaries that links to MSVCRT, however
>> this works for XP+ only.
> Which works... provided we continue on the makefile approach or use msbuild.
> Note that openssl encourages exactly this solution, and goes out of their way
> to avoid msvcrXX flavors.

IDE is probably good enough for GUI apps, but that's just my
opinion. With each version it's a completely new environment,
and I personally see no point of using it for non-interactive projects.
Sure, debugger might be handy but think this is usable without
IDE dependency.

> There are now other reasons to avoid msvcrt.dll, given that the maintainers
> have declared msvcrt to be an OS component, and have declined to track C
> standards or portability.  This is evidenced in their handling of *printf
> family of functions, which PHP folks have tripped over in awkward ways, and
> found no satisfaction reporting the issues to MS.

This is marketing bs from ms IMHO.
They use msvcrt for "non-system" components as well like IIS and stuff.
Well I suppose they wish that treated to be "system" component
but then it executes the extensions from userland.
Now add multiple extensions/filters with various dll linkage and
you are just asking for trouble.

> If anyone notices apr or httpd exchanging such resources in a way that would
> make httpd crash, we would *love* to know about it!  This is the time for us
> to complete any corrections to the API, before httpd 2.4 ships.

If we resist on using CRT stuff like strcpy_l/strcpy_s, _fstat64i32 and
other weirdness from contemporary CRTs, we'd be fine.

View raw message