httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject -Wdeclaration-after-statement
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2011 21:19:01 GMT
On Tuesday 11 January 2011, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Am 10.01.2011 21:26, schrieb Stefan Fritsch:
> > BTW, gcc has -Wdeclaration-after-statement to catch these things.
> > Should we add that to the default warnings enabled in maintainer
> > mode?
>
> +2 - NetWare compiler cant deal with either;
> and +1 to treat it even as error rather than warning:
> -Werror=declarationafterstatement

The -Werror=... syntax requires a rather recent gcc (definitely 4.x,
and x > 0 IIRC).

> BTW. isnt the option without dashes? My 'man gcc' lists:
> Wdeclarationafterstatement (C and ObjectiveC only)
>       Warn when a declaration is found after a statement in a
> block. This construct, known from C++, was introduced with ISO C99
> and is by default allowed in GCC.  It is not supported by ISO C90
> and was not supported by GCC versions before GCC 3.0.
>
> Since GCC < 3 didnt support this I assume that then also the above
> options are not recognized - so adding them should depend on GCC
> version

The option is newer than the ability to compile the code. It doesn't
appear in the gcc 3.3 doc, so I assume it has been introduced in gcc
3.4.

I have now commited a configure check for it. But I don't have a
pre-3.4 gcc to test the "no" case.

Cheers,
Stefan