httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Issues with <If >
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:24:08 GMT
On Monday 10 January 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> > Thought experiment: supposing everything were merged into a
> > single configuration walk.  What could that look like, and what
> > breaks?
>
> Essentially, each request and sub-request would have to redundantly
> re-merge many prior merges as <If > and other conditions were
> reevaluated. But it isn't quite as a bad as it sounds; for each If
> that breaks, you end up with result caches of the two possible
> outcomes.
>
> In fact, it would be possible to optimize the predicted paths at
> startup by premerging, and we simply have to take both forks of
> <If > to do so successfully.

I have thought a bit about config premerging and think this is a
rather large can of worms that we should leave for 3.0. The same is
probably true for other nice ideas like storing the location sections
in a tree structure for faster walking.

> What I find more interesting is dumping server config sections and
> treating everything as per-dir sections, servers included.

This would also end the weirdness that some directives cannot be used
in vhost context but need a <Location /> block.