httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: disk cache file rename errors on Windows
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:23:36 GMT
On 23 Nov 2010, at 8:21 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:

> We're seeing errors like this from mod_disk_cache on Windows only:
>
> (OS 5)Access is denied.  : disk_cache: rename tempfile to datafile
> failed: c:/temp/HTTPServer7/aptmpV0JKJ8 ->
> c:/temp/HTTPServer7/wHY/FhW/b5uD@MuvttLK@V4w.data
>
> under moderate to heavy load, resulting in requests failing.

Looking at the code, the error message is thrown when
apr_file_rename() fails, specifically when a temporary file is swung
into place in the cache.

Looking at the APR code, there is a forest of ifdefs that seem to
choose one of MoveFileEx(), MoveFileW(), MoveFileExW() or MoveFile().
Ideally, the Microsoft API documentation should explain under what
conditions the error "Access is denied" is thrown.

Does Windows allow you to move a file into place while the replaced
file is still open for read?

Regards,
Graham