httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1053515 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/CHANGES
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 09:56:13 GMT

On 29 Dec 2010, at 03:03, covener@apache.org wrote:

> Author: covener
> Date: Wed Dec 29 03:03:35 2010
> New Revision: 1053515

> Log:
> add a 2.3.9-era CHANGES entry that should have been noted for
> mod_headers defaults.

Whoa!  Much confusion seeing and then checking this, then 1053523,
against 2.3 docs before seeing 1053516!

"Why doesn't my Header work?" is becoming a bit of a FAQ.

It's also a rather ugly hack for several reasons, of which the complexity
you're getting to grips with documenting is a symptom.  I'm wondering
about a couple of changes that might help, but still need to think through
possible (unintended) consequences.

1. Using an output filter with the idiom "do something that isn't a filter
    operation on first-call then remove myself" is ugly.  How about an
   ap_hook_pre_filter hook for functions such as these?  With an
   AP_FTYPE_* argument (AP_FTYPE_PROTOCOL for mod_headers)
   to determine ordering?

2. Specific to mod_headers, we should presumably get better "always"
   semantics by running a table merge before applying "always" rules.

Any obvious problems?

--
Nick Kew