httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <>
Subject Re: disk cache file rename errors on Windows
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:48:28 GMT
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Graham Leggett <> wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2010, at 8:21 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:
>> We're seeing errors like this from mod_disk_cache on Windows only:
>> (OS 5)Access is denied.  : disk_cache: rename tempfile to datafile
>> failed: c:/temp/HTTPServer7/aptmpV0JKJ8 ->
>> c:/temp/HTTPServer7/wHY/FhW/
>> under moderate to heavy load, resulting in requests failing.
> Looking at the code, the error message is thrown when apr_file_rename()
> fails, specifically when a temporary file is swung into place in the cache.
> Looking at the APR code, there is a forest of ifdefs that seem to choose one
> of MoveFileEx(), MoveFileW(), MoveFileExW() or MoveFile(). Ideally, the
> Microsoft API documentation should explain under what conditions the error
> "Access is denied" is thrown.
> Does Windows allow you to move a file into place while the replaced file is
> still open for read?

Disclaimer: My last real Windows programming was on WfW 3.11, so
please, someone with up-to-date Windows programming experience correct
me as needed.

>From the doc for MoveFileEx
you can pass a flag telling Windows to do the move on the next reboot
(also see , apparently to work
around an inability to rename another file over a file in use.  So I
think the answer to your question is "no".

The doc for error 0x05 at
consists, in its entirety, of "Access is denied.".  Maybe there's more
explanation elsewhere.

Dan Poirier

View raw message