httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Inspiration for mod_lua
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2010 02:09:32 GMT
----- Original Message ----

I wasn't referring to performance, but *nothing* other than the main websites
would be impacted performance wise if they were all running mod_perl + prefork.
I was referring to the fact that mod_perl exposes pretty much the entire
webserver
to perl, even though only a small number of people are able to use that power
effectively.  Most people nowadays want a fully-boxed framework like rails.

I mean take the CMS I just wrote with mod_perl.  It's 2K LOC, uses a custom
map_to_storage handler, and defers a good chunk of its (sub)requests to httpd
for things like autoindex and negotiation and plain-old file serving, and
forwards
a user's basic auth creds to the subversion server.  That isn't remotely
feasible
with mod_fcgi, I'd have to reimplement all that functionality my app, which is
a waste.