httpd-dev mailing list archives

From andr...@hq.newdream.net (Andrew Farmer)
Subject Re: Inspiration for mod_lua
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:36:15 GMT
On 29 Dec 2010 at 01:25, Igor Galić wrote:
> Please share your particularly ugly, involved, unaesthetic or
> otherwise /wrong/ solutions done with mod_rewrite because it
> was the only hammer available for the screws at that time ;)

I came up with the following abomination a while back to disable
hotlinking to files when the referrer doesn't match the request host (in
conjunction with a setup that amounts to wildcard DNS):

> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ://([^/]+)/
> RewriteRule . - [E=RHOST:%1]
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(albums|cache)/
> RewriteCond %{ENV:RHOST} !^$
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}:%{ENV:RHOST} !^([^:]*):(\1)$
> RewriteRule . - [F]

The observant will notice a novel abuse of regex backreferences used
here to implement string comparison. A reimplementation of the same
configuration in Lua should be able to avoid this. :)