httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: ap_expr problems
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 15:21:47 GMT
On Thu. 2010-11-04 at 06:39 PM EDT, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 04 November 2010, Dan Poirier wrote:
>> Before we invent yet another expression language, should we
>> consider using something that already exists?  E.g. lua?
>
> Do you want to make lua a requirement for httpd core? Is lua available
> for all plattforms that httpd runs on? Is lua fast enough for being
> used in e.g. mod_filter and mod_headers?

I don't know, maybe someone else can answer these.  And it doesn't have
to be lua, that was just the first thing that occurred to me.

> We already have two expression languages in httpd (three if you count
> RewriteCond). One is in mod_ssl and one in mod_include. We can drop
> neither for backward compatibility. I think that mod_ssl's parser is
> much better suited as a general purpose tool than mod_include's
> parser.

Must we maintain backward compatibility in 2.4?  3.0?  How long do we
maintain backward compatibility when moving to a common expression
format would make the whole configuration more understandable in the
long term?