httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Server reloads
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:06:14 GMT
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Bryan McQuade <bmcquade@google.com> wrote:
> Thanks Dennis. I'm wondering what it means for modules to handle
> reloads correctly. What can/should a shared object do to gracefully
> reload? What should it not do? Are there specific hooks I should
> register for in order to handle reloads correctly? And if so, what
> should my module do in those hooks?

apachectl {graceful|restart} will cause your module to

in the parent process:
de-init (if you have cleanups registered on pconf), be unloaded, be
loaded again, be re-initialized (pre-init hook, directive handling,
post-config hook, etc.).

(and just for giggles, this cycle even repeats during startup)

in the child process:
run any cleanups registered on pchild

(this is approximate)

look at

server-bundled modules
server/main.c -- the loop that repeats for every server generation
(start/restart sequence)

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...