httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <denni...@conversis.de>
Subject Re: Server reloads
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:40:24 GMT
On 11/12/2010 03:04 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Bryan McQuade<bmcquade@google.com>  wrote:
>> Hi. I have read the docs but I have a few questions regarding server
>> reloads. Under what conditions will httpd reread its conf file? Will httpd
>> also reload its shared modules when updating conf files? I am trying to make
>> sure that updating a conf and corresponding so on disk with a newer version
>> would not cause problems for a running httpd instance. Are there cases where
>> it is dangerous to install a newer version of a so and conf file while httpd
>> is running?
>
> The conf files will only be re-read on a graceful restart (or sending
> SIGUSR1 to the parent process, which is the same thing).
>
> You may want to verify this with others (or by a simple test), but
> iirc anything loaded with LoadModule or LoadFile is reloaded at the
> same time.

I've had problems at times where when I installed an additional php
extension and greacefully restarted Apache mod_php stoppen working
properly. This is most likely a problem of mod_php and not Apache but you
might take it into consideration that while Apache might reload it's
modules these modules might not handle this properly.

Regards,
   Dennis