httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Error returned on broken chunking
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:22:03 GMT
I've just been failing to diagnose someone on IRC's problem
with httpd returning 503 (Service Unavailable).

A look at the source turns up just one usage outside the
script and proxy paths: in ap_http_filter, it returns
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE on encountering a chunked encoding error.
This looks like a bug to me: surely that should return 400
on bad request from the client.

The other case would be reading broken chunking coming from
a backend when 502 (not 503) looks correct.  But that's
only really useful for logging, as it's unlikely to be
encountered before the response status has been sent
down the wire.

Any strong rationale for 503, or should I just change
it to 400?

--
Nick Kew