httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject API for detecting first config run
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:47:29 GMT
Hi,

it is common procedure for modules to detect the first configuration
run at httpd startup by looking for some userdata in the process pool.
If the userdata is not set, they set it and then skip some
initialization that should not be done during the first config run.

But this logic is broken: If a LoadModule statement is added while
httpd is running, and httpd is then gracefully restarted, the module
will be loaded but assume that this is the startup configuration
phase. It won't initialize itself fully and will work correctly only
after the second graceful restart. This can be very confusing for
users.

Therefore I intend to add some API like ap_in_initial_configuration()
which will tell modules reliably if httpd is currently starting up or
not. Does anyone see a problem with this that I have missed?

Cheers,
Stefan