httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: ap_expr problems
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 19:04:30 GMT
On Friday 05 November 2010, Dan Poirier wrote:
> > Do you want to make lua a requirement for httpd core? Is lua
> > available for all plattforms that httpd runs on? Is lua fast
> > enough for being used in e.g. mod_filter and mod_headers?
>
> I don't know, maybe someone else can answer these.  And it doesn't
> have to be lua, that was just the first thing that occurred to me.

I don't know either. However I know that mod_lua in its current state
is not well suited for small single line expressions. My feeling is
that using lua (or some other language) would require significantly
more work than recycling ssl_expr. While it may make sense in the long
run, it would delay 2.4 further.

> > We already have two expression languages in httpd (three if you
> > count RewriteCond). One is in mod_ssl and one in mod_include. We
> > can drop neither for backward compatibility. I think that
> > mod_ssl's parser is much better suited as a general purpose tool
> > than mod_include's parser.
>
> Must we maintain backward compatibility in 2.4?  3.0?  How long do
> we maintain backward compatibility when moving to a common
> expression format would make the whole configuration more
> understandable in the long term?

For 2.4 definitely. Just look at the discussion about
Limit/LimitExcept. For 3.0 I don't know. But I want to get 2.4 out
sooner than later and not push for 3.0 now. So, we can definitely
consider to move lua into 3.0's core, but now is not the right time.