httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Options All
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:34:46 GMT

On Nov 18, 2010, at 11:52 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 11/18/2010 7:43 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:46:06 +0000 (UTC)
>> Igor Galić <i.galic@brainsware.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be sensible to change the default here as well?
>>
>> This is the kind of question that should better be discussed
>> with downstream users, especially packagers, than with developers.
>>
>> If in doubt, don't change without at least a consensus among
>> the distros.  There's enough end-user confusion about defaults
>> that differ from what they've read.  Let's not add to it ourselves!
>
> Packagers don't follow our structure, and rarely follow our
> recommendations.
> I wouldn't worry about them, ask on users@ or docs@ for a user
> perspective.

The end goal to changing default values should always be (IMO) what
happens when you start httpd with no config file. I don't
realistically think that we'll get there - there's too many things
that have to be set - but hypothetically, that should be what we're
working towards when we make changes like this.

So, +1 to changing this, as it give us something that is safe to have
set server-wide.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com