httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Removing Limit and LimitExcept
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:36:20 GMT

On Oct 22, 2010, at 5:56 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 10/21/2010 8:49 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> So I am currently -1 on the whole idea.  I see no need to deprecate
>> Limit and LimitExcept.  I see considerable harm in removing them
>> entirely.  I see no harm in introducing new directives that will do
>> similar functionality in a better way, documenting those directives
>> as the preferred alternative, and modifying our configs accordingly.
> I expected nothing less from you, Lars, Jim and others who would have
> approved this broken feature in the first place.

You mean from people who not only develop but also run it
and have comprehension regarding the impact of such extensive
config changes for a 2.2->2.4 upgrade, right? Thanks.

I think, as Roy says, allowing for Limit/LimitExcept, noting
that it is deprecated, and creating a new set of directives
that allow people to use the "new method", is a much friendlier
approach for our users.

View raw message