httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Optimising ap_location_walk()
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:57:05 GMT

On 23 Oct 2010, at 16:48, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am looking to improve per-request performance when you have an environment with many
(thousands of) Location sections, and looking at ap_location_walk(), it looks like it is currently
doing a simple linear search of locations on every request, which is far from ideal.

> Ideally, I'd like to create an index of the location sec_dir and sec_url array, by creating
a tree of hashtables that will allow us to drill down to the relevant locations as quick as
possible. This will also allow us to pre-merge many of the configurations at startup, instead
of just at runtime (obviously because .htaccess is parsed at runtime we won't completely eliminate
merging, but we will minimise it).

> If we're careful about what pools we use on startup, we can also free a lot of the memory
used in the initial configuration scan, keeping a copy of the merged config, instead of a
copy of each location's configs.

Nice idea if you can come up with a clean design.

We have a bit of a history of optimisation leading to breakage.
It might be easier if combined with revisiting the semantics of
subrequests and - especially - internal redirects.  But that's going
to have knock-on effects on a lot of core features, such as
mod_dir, mod_alias, etc.

--
Nick Kew