httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Release mod_ftp 1.0.0 as GA
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:41:52 GMT

On 25 Oct 2010, at 00:21, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>> I'm finding it slower-than-anticipated progress, as I'm not
>> getting useful messages in ftp_error_log (at LogLevel Debug).
>> Not a showstopper to deployment, but a bit demotivating when
>> I have no real use case for it.
>
> Completely understandable.
>
> I'm very interesting in your non-working config,

I'm talking about trivialities.

Example 1: I used the out-of-the-box config, and it refused my login.
I might have spent a *long* time trying to figure out whether it was
trying to authenticate me and if so why it failed, if I had been less
familiar with the bland "client denied by server configuration", which
was the only message (let alone clue) in the logs.

Example 2: my first attempt to PUT failed.  I expected it to fail due to
file permissions, which I had intentionally left unset.  I was looking
for an error message that would tell me *what* filesystem access
was attempted.  Nothing!

All with LogLevel Debug.

--
Nick Kew