httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Optimising ap_location_walk()
Date Sun, 24 Oct 2010 12:16:23 GMT
On 23 Oct 2010, at 6:57 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> Nice idea if you can come up with a clean design.
>
> We have a bit of a history of optimisation leading to breakage.
> It might be easier if combined with revisiting the semantics of
> subrequests and - especially - internal redirects.  But that's going
> to have knock-on effects on a lot of core features, such as
> mod_dir, mod_alias, etc.

I'm not keen to change the semantics at all, I'd rather like to speed
up the array lookup from the linear search we do now.

I went on a hunt for efficient string prefix matching algorithms, but
that's led me into some heavy computer science theory where the bulk
of the work was on prefix matching IP addresses rather than strings
(which seems to be a problem that's received more attention).

I think the hashtable approach would be reasonable, given that we have
the option to pre-create the index at startup post_config.

Regards,
Graham