httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: mod_fcgid does not appear to bound max processes
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:57:43 GMT
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Edward Z. Yang <ezyang@mit.edu> wrote:
> Hello Jeff,
>
> We tested the latest version of mod_fcgid in trunk (r1028094) and
> found that, while the total number of fcgis did not explode and overwhelm
> the server, that after a ramp up time new FCGIs were not being spawned
> and we were getting responses like:
>
>    $ curl http://andersk.scripts.mit.edu/hello/hello.c.fcgi
>    curl: (52) Empty reply from server
>
> Our hypothesis is that the new code interacts poorly with mod_vhost_ldap
> because mod_vhost_ldap copies the server_rec to a dynamically allocated buffer
> (see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201007.mbox/%3C4C3465D9.1090902@rowe-clan.net%3E
> so the current_node->server == procnode->server check never succeeds.  mod_ftp
> does something similar.

Interesting...  I guess mod_fcgid has to leave some droplet attached
to a server_rec that can used to identify the different <VirtualHost >
containers in lieu of comparing the ServerName setting (original
implementation) or the server_rec address (my subsequent "fix").

(I don't know precisely what is failing in your case.)

I guess you could rip out the server_rec comparison, as long as you
have no VirtualHost-specific settings related to the FastCGI
applications (i.e., if you can share your apps across vhosts).

When somebody gets time/gumption I'm sure there will be a way to share
apps across vhosts but that seems ugly to sanity check the feasibility
(i.e., refuse to allow vhost-specific configuration of anything that
would be impacted by reusing another vhost's process when there's some
share-across-vhost flag at global scope.  Hopefully your case can be
made to work without that other work.