httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Apache alpha and mod_jk
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 20:40:51 GMT
On 15 Oct 2010, at 4:32 PM, Damon Green wrote:
> We have a scenario presently that is causing us some difficulties.
> Env is SPARC Solaris10, gcc.
> We wish to use the current alpha build of Apache because it includes
> new features in mod_cache that we want to use, specifically the
> option to persist disk cache on 500 errors from Tomcat. They are
> checked into trunk. http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/httpd/trunk/
> We also wish to use mod_jk to connect to Tomcat.
> Our issue is that we cannot get any version of mod_jk to work with
> this Apache.
> We have tried the pre-compiled binaries of mod_jk, and tried to
> compile our own mod_jk. Both scenarios are failing.
> When we use the pre-compiled binary mod_jk.so provided by the Tomcat
> connectors.
> http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/solaris/jk-1.2.30/sparc/
> mod_jk-1.2.30-httpd-2.2.X.so
> bash-3.00# ./apachectl configtest
> httpd: Syntax error on line 139 of /apps/apache-2.3.8/conf/
> httpd.conf: Cannot load /apps/apache-2.3.8/modules/mod_jk.so into
> server: ld.so.1: httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /apps/
> apache-2.3.8/modules/mod_jk.so: symbol ap_log_error: referenced
> symbol not found
> bash-3.00#
Even if the symbol-not-found error didn't sink you, checks and
balances in the module loading code will stop you loading a v2.2
module into a v2.3 server. Because APIs have changed between v2.2 and
v2.3, if this wasn't stopped, the server would crash as the old API
was called from new API code.

What you need to do is either find a version of mod_jk that compiles
against v2.3/2.4 of httpd (assuming one exists), or you need to apply
a backport of the mod_cache modules back to httpd v2.2.

To make this work from v2.2, the backported patches needed to make
some minor changes, like reinstate CORE_PRIVATE and reverse the module
definition, but otherwise can be dropped in as is:

http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/httpd-mod_cache-1022960.patch
http://people.apache.org/~minfrin/httpd-htcacheclean-1022280.patch

Regards,
Graham