httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache: overriding Cache-Control and Vary
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:43:46 GMT
On Oct 17, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One of the missing things that mod_cache can't do that other caches can is to be able
to override the Cache-Control and Vary headers, so that the cache can be targeted for custom
behaviour.

> The classic use case is when you insert request headers into your server stack, which
you want to vary on. The Vary header in this case would make no sense to the internet at large,
or the Vary header for the benefit of the internet may be different to the Vary header for
the benefit of mod_cache.

> What I propose are some simple per-directory directives, allowing you to optionally override
the names of Cache-Control, Pragma, and Vary headers for outgoing requests, for example X-Cache-Control,
X-Pragma or X-Vary.

No, we don't introduce X- prefix headers.  The functionality you describe
is not specific to cache -- just implement a response header filter
that the admin can configure as they wish and that is applied just after
the content generator.

....Roy