httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1026668 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:46:17 GMT
On 10/23/2010 4:28 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> I dunno about any load-bit instructions...  Seems like the bit field
> always has an extra step compared with the int for the platforms where
> I have a laughable recollection of assembly.
>
> But these bit fields are only for merging logic, right?  Hardly a
> performance concern, even with htaccess compared with stat and all
> that.

It is not simply a bit mask.

It's a bit mask, shift and shift extension, since this is an int bitfield
and not unsigned.  Two values, 0 and -1.

Great for fields that will be accessed once per request.

Horrid performance for per-dir merging.

Even to Jim's comment, an unsigned char would outperform a signed char,
which has to be sign-extended into a full int.