httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: mod_cache: use of ap_log_error() instead of ap_log_rerror()
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:23:59 GMT
Hi Graham,

On Sunday 17 October 2010, Graham Leggett wrote:
> Across mod_cache, all the logging directives log at the server
> scope using ap_log_error(), instead of at the request scope
> ap_log_rerror().
>
> While I suspect the original intention of this was because the
> quick_handler() is involved, is it true to assume that the
> ap_log_rerror() request scope logging function can't be used in a
> quick_handler()?

Up to 2.2.x, there was not much difference between server scope and
request scope logging. I suspect that the original intention was just
to omit the referrer which is appended in request scope.

I don't see any reason why request scope logging should not work for
the quick handler. Probably all the per-directory log configuration
will be ignored when using the quick handler, but IMHO that's just
something that needs to be documented.

> Hoping that someone who knows the logging stuff better than I do
> can confirm, because I'd like to use ap_log_rerror() across the
> board if I can.

+1, because that would allow to use some of the new features, like
correlating error log and access log entries via the log id.

Cheers,
Stefan