httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Removing Limit and LimitExcept
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2010 01:49:08 GMT
On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:16 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> On 10/21/2010 10:21 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> All this debate makes me wonder how many people here still
>> *run* and *administer* web sites... How about putting yourself
>> in the shoes of the sys admin before willy-nilly recrafting
>> configs.
>
> I have, and was bit by the nonsensical behavior of Limit (attempting
> to SetHandler only on specific methods), which is why I crusade to
> eliminate it in its current form, entirely.
>
> <Limit PUT>
>    SetHandler put-handler
> </Limit>
>
> Funny thing, everything goes to put-handler.  The error logs at
> loglevel debug have nothing to say about my "stupidity" as an
> administrator.  Now how is that not totally broken and bogus?

Umm, so you tried to use the directive for something that it
does not do, never has done, and makes no sense to do ... RTFM.

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#limit
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#sethandler
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_actions.html#script

It sounds like an excellent feature that almost exists.

I simply don't care how many mistaken configs there are in the
world when we are talking about breaking configs that are currently
correct, including the config we have in trunk and have
been shipping since Limit was introduced

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/extra/httpd-userdir.conf.in

So I am currently -1 on the whole idea.  I see no need to deprecate
Limit and LimitExcept.  I see considerable harm in removing them
entirely.  I see no harm in introducing new directives that will do
similar functionality in a better way, documenting those directives
as the preferred alternative, and modifying our configs accordingly.

When we get to 3.0, we can remove Limit and LimitExcept entirely.
If you want to move trunk to 3.0a right now, that's fine with me.

....Roy