httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Apache logging
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:18:07 GMT
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Sergio Junqueira wrote:

> I have a suggestion for the developers of Apache related to mod_log_config or
> mod_log_forensics:
>
> 1) To allow mod_log_config to write the log file with a first log entry with
> basic information about the request before it's processed further (that is,
> after receiving the headers). The second log entry (the current logging format)
> would be written after the request processing. A "log ID", just like the
> "forensic ID", should be available on both entries.
>
> 2)- Or to allow mod_log_forensic to be configured not to write all headers to
> disk. For instance, we should be able to configure it just like we do with
> LogFormat on mod_log_config. Or at least allow us to choose to write just the
> 1st request line, without all the headers.

I think 2) would be a reasonable feature request for mod_log_forensic and
would be easy to implement. However, I am interested about your actual use
case. Do you need the first entry to determine which request may have
caused httpd to crash or is there a different reason?

If you are generally interested in better logging in httpd, you may want
to read and possibly comment about some new features in 2.3/2.4:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/core.html#errorlogformat
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/core.html#loglevel

Cheers,
Stefan