httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1000130 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/mod_proxy.xml
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:16:51 GMT
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:11 AM, "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <
ruediger.pluem@vodafone.com> wrote:

>  ------------------------------
> *From:* Jeff Trawick *Sent:* Donnerstag, 23. September 2010 12:05
> *To:* dev@httpd.apache.org
> *Subject:* Re: svn commit: r1000130 -
> /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/mod/mod_proxy.xml
>
>  On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Ruediger Pluem  wrote:
>
> first, thanks for stepping in!
>

>> > ttl is the only timeout avail, so that has to be set to the origin's
>> > keepalive timeout
>> > ttl only applies to connections above smax, so smax needs to be set as
>> low
>> > as allowable
>>
>> No. ttl is absolute. The resource list hands out no resources that have
>> been
>> idle in the resource list for more then ttl. So no need to fiddle with
>> smax.
>>

> I have a hard time believing both that and the apr_reslist_create() doc.
>  ttl is passed only to apr_reslist_create(), which says
>
> " * @param ttl If non-zero, sets the maximum amount of time in microseconds
>  *            resource may be available while exceeding the soft limit."
>
> That seems to say that I can get resources that have been idle for more
> than ttl, as long as the soft limit wasn't exceeded.
>
> The docs are just wrong. You will see that code does something different
> :-)

Yeah (this is getting almost comical).

doc patch/wild assertions posted to dev@apr

So far it seems that min is almost useless for proxy due to the loose
relationship between reslist resource and connection (and thus shouldn't be
emphasized at all), and smax is almost useless for any apr_reslist client,
including proxy (and like min, it shouldn't be emphasized at all in the
proxy doc).