httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dave b <db.pub.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rational behind not checking the return value of apr_palloc and apr_pcalloc
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:41:20 GMT
On 2 September 2010 13:29, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 9/1/2010 10:17 PM, dave b wrote:
>>
>> Why not just fix it now and not worry? ...
>
> It will help if you can provide a specific use case for graceful failure.
>
> A segfault/dereference of NULL pointer provides a very specific exception
> for this general case, and 'recovers' neatly from a process which has simply
> consumed far too much memory.  There are very few alloc exceptions which are
> recoverable a multi-client application.
>
> But if you can illustrate a few, the community is happy to evaluate your
> examples, which is what Jeff has politely suggested to you.

http://blog.ksplice.com/2010/03/null-pointers-part-i/
So what if NULL doesn't crash the app ^^ ?

https://www.securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/seccode/EXP34-C.+Do+not+dereference+null+pointers

I can't see MAP_FIXED anywhere in APR or apache code though.
I am just suggesting it would be wise to prevent this from occurring.
Not every platform / linux has  /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr .

Sure it is not likely to be null, but it could be :)
--
It is a wise father that knows his own child.		-- William Shakespeare,
"The Merchant of Venice"