httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject mod_rewrite: rewrites in Location sections
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:58:46 GMT
Hi all,

I've been asked to clarify the following from the mod_rewrite
documentation:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html#rewriterule

"Although rewrite rules are syntactically permitted in <Location>
sections, this should never be necessary and is unsupported."

These docs were placed there in 2006:

r418360 | slive | 2006-06-30 21:04:50 +0200 (Fri, 30 Jun 2006) | 7 lines

Make it clear what is meant by per-directory rewrites
and specify the rewrites in <Location> is unsupported.
(The same is probably true for <Files>, but I'd have to
think about that a little more.)

PR: 39843

I am concerned at the claim "this should never be necessary". We
currently suffer huge problems with people inserting gratuitous global
rewrite rules into our configuration on a very busy server cluster,
which are then triggered on every single unrelated request (and
subrequest). By reducing the scope of the rewrite rule to a specific
Location, we significantly reduce the cost of each (sub)request.

Ideally I would like the docs corrected to explain exactly what
mod_rewrite does, rather than just cop out and call it
"unsupported" (whatever that means).

Regards,
Graham