httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject htaccess support
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:44:14 GMT

Hi folks,

I remotely remember that we briefly touched this topic on IRC, but I'd really like to
bring this to the lists attention:

.htaccess is one of the features that have guaranteed httpd's success in the past, and
at the same time it's the single biggest clutch imaginable. It's a support nightmare,
exploit vector and a performance bottleneck.

Most competing products don't have such a thing either, and if needed, solve it via
scripting: http://diaryproducts.net/about/web_servers/lighttpd/htaccess_lighttpd
(first hit in google, I'm sure you can do better)

I'd like to discuss the possibility to either disable the use of .htaccess at
compile time, or alternatively concentrate it into a module.

With mod_lua in place, people who chose to, could use yet a different way for
per-dir configs, I suppose...

So long,

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883