httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: caching partial repsonses
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 17:20:21 GMT
On 02 Sep 2010, at 7:01 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> Indeed.  I guess my comment in STATUS was down to reviewing that
> backport proposal (and checking the RFC) before I saw the other one.
>
> I guess the real question is: why enable it in the abstract, in the
> absence of a backend implementation?  Surely there's no backend
> that's going to be simpler to support ranges in than plain ol' disk?

mod_cache.h exports a public provider interface, allowing external
parties to write implementations of their own that are distributed
separately from the httpd server.

It is broken for mod_cache to dictate to an external implementation
that it is forbidden from caching partial responses, when the caching
of partial responses is allowed by RFC2616.

Regards,
Graham