httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: memory leak in mod_slotmem_shm
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:19:28 GMT
On Monday 27 September 2010, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > BTW, it is not that obvious that the shm is supposed to be
> > cleaned up  and re-created on graceful restarts. This should be
> > documented in the code.
> >

> That's an interesting point. I always assumed that it should be,
> since one use for it would be as a scoreboard-like replacement
> (and the pain for the scoreboard is that it's a set size)...
> But I can also see reasons for it to NOT be cleaned/recreated...
> How best to handle that??

If it would be used for e.g. storing mod_proxy_balancer's worker
configuration/state, one would want the data to survive a graceful
restart, wouldn't one? But from a consumer's perspective, it doesn't
matter if this achieved by not destroying the shm segment or by saving
the data to disk and reloading it after recreating the shm segment.
So it seems to me that the current functionality is enough.