httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Remove <Limit> and <LimitExcept> ?
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:51:11 GMT
On Wednesday 22 September 2010, Igor Galić wrote:
> ----- "Stefan Fritsch" <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> > On Monday 20 September 2010, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > The Limit/LimitExcept directives are very handy and important
> > > when mod_dav is being used. In fact, LimitExcept was created
> > > specifically in order to avoid listing every new method that
> > > might come along via DAV specs and such.
> > >
> > > As long as an alternative is available, then I don't care. But
> > > the functionality is very important.
> >
> > I am not a heavy DAV user. But I think most useful uses of
> > Limit/LimitExcept are already possible with the combination
> > "Require method", <RequireAny>, and <RequireAll>. See
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_authz_host.html#reqmet
> > hod
>
> Alternatively you can also use
>
>    Require not method GET POST OPTIONS

This currently has the problem that "Require not" will not allow
access by itself but return "neutral" if the condition is not met.
I hope that the beta phase will reveal if this behaviour makes sense
or should be changed. But before changing it, one would need to look
in the list archives why it was implemented this way.