httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject _default_ and * in vhost hostnames
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 17:00:59 GMT
Suppose we just make _default_ a synonym of * in virtual host hostnames?

Eric brought this up a while back, with little response at the time.

Right now, you can only use "*" in the hostname of a name-based virtual
host, and only use "_default_" in the hostname of an IP-based virtual
host.

Their meanings are similar already, and any subtle differences in how
we've defined them aren't really relevant, since you can't use both in
the same virtual host anyway, so there's never any need to distinguish
them.

So, I'm proposing we simplify the code, and documentation, by making
_default_ just another name for *, and maybe if we see _default_,
issuing a warning that its use is deprecated.

Thoughts?

Dan